Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Facebook birthday experiment...

So tomorrow I'm turning 21. It's pretty cool. I get nice phone calls from family and close friends, some gifts and a few pints at the pub. This year though, I'm expecting that there will be a large number of people who don't realize it's my birthday. Why? I've deleted my birthday on Facebook.

In the past few years, my birthdays have been great, but I've routinely opened my email to find that I have tons of messages in my inbox. Sadly, most of them are from Facebook, telling me that one of my 'friends' has written on my 'wall'. I know what each message says and its fairly uniform: 'Happy Birthday!' accompanied by something along the lines of, 'hope it's a good one' or 'have fun partyin'.

Last year I got 40 or so of these messages. It's nice getting happy birthday messages, but what really concerns me is the reason for sending it and how these people know it's my birthday. Is it because they've remembered it from memory? Doubtful. Chances are they got a little alert on Facebook telling them it's my Bday and a few clicks later a congratulatory message is sitting in my inbox.

Great. But it just isn't genuine. Some of the best birthday wishes I've gotten since being on Facebook have been from close friends of mine, who either take the time to pick up a phone and call me or at least email me. I'm yet to have family members Facebook birthday me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in the future.

So here's the experiment. Now that my birthday isn't listed on Facebook, how many birthday wishes will I get? Any? It'll be interesting.

I'll let you know in a few days how it pans out.

No comments: